Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Spider Web Motif Granny Square for Halloween Afghan


With Halloween just around the corner, I decided I wanted to make a spider web inspired afghan. I couldn't find a pattern for one online that I liked, so I decided to make my own through trial and error. This will be my first project made from granny squares, so I'm not entirely sure how much work I'm in for, but I know the finished product will be awesome!


Here's the basic square. This is my first pattern so if it's confusing, let me know in the comments.

I used a size N(9mm) hook and good ol' Red Heart Super Saver in white. One square measures about 8"x8". I know that's fairly big for a granny square, but the bigger the square, the less you need. Note that you may make this with a smaller hook, but to make a full size afghan you'll obviously need to make more than 20.

Abbreviations:
rnd-round
ch-chain stitch
dc-double crochet
sl-slip stitch

Make 20
Rnd 1: Make a magic loop and ch4 (counts as first dc and ch1). *dc1 in magic loop, ch1* repeat from * to * 6 more times. Tighten magic loop and join with a sl into 3rd ch of original ch4.

Rnd 2: ch5 (counts as dc and ch2) *dc1 in next dc from rnd1, ch2* repeat from * to * 6 more times. Join with a sl in 3rd ch of ch5.

Rnd 3: ch6 (counts as dc and ch3) *dc1 in next dc from rnd2, ch3* repeat from * to * 6 more times. Join with a sl in 3rd ch of ch6.

Rnd 4: ch11 (counts as dc and ch8) dc1 in next dc from rnd3, ch4 *dc1 in next dc from rnd3, ch8, dc1 in next dc from rnd3, ch4* repeat from * to * 2 more times. Join with a sl in 3rd ch of ch11. [Note: all previous rounds the chains spaces were even. In this row however, the chain spaces alternate between 4 and 8. This is necessary for the corners not look wonky.]

Rounds 5 and 6 follow the classic granny stitching with sets of 3dc's separated by 1ch, and 3ch on the corners. On round 5, make sure you do 2 sets of 3dc's in each hole, and 4 in the corner holes, as the above picture shows.


Now for the spider applique. Basically, I followed the pattern over on this website, with some minor adjustments.
I used a size F(3.75) hook and Red Heart Super Saver in black. I'll be making 10 and putting them on half of my granny squares in a checkerboard style.

The first adjustment I made was I chose to start with a magic ring, as I prefer them to making and joining a chain.
I also made 7sc's in the magic ring, in stead of only six (which will consequently give you 14 in round 2 instead of only 12.)
After the head, I did 1sl between the head and the first leg.
I didn't like the "tail" on their pattern as it was like half the size of the head, and not realistic, so I eliminated it altogether, and just did 3sl between the two sets of legs.
And to finish off, I did one final sl between the second set of legs and the head.
Then just sew them on to the web squares.

This website also has a pattern for a web, however, I created my web before I found it, and frankly, I like mine better.

To finish off, I'm going to arrange my granny squares in a 5x4 grid and join them with orange for a more Halloween feel, and do 2 "granny" rounds around the outside (also in orange) to tie it all together.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this awesome pattern!!! I bought myself a TNBC no sew fleece throw kit that I wanted to crochet a border on. When I opened it though, I noticed that the dark purple border had cut lines for the ties, and big open squares in the corners (cause you're supposed to cut them off). So I'm going to cut the corners off and attach some of these spider webs, then do my border around the whole thing. Hopefully it turns out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pattern. My granddaughter loves spiders (the itsy bitsy spider and charlottes web). This will make a perfect afghan for her room.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm a dude and I like to crochet. Get over it. I like the fact that I can do it while doing something like watching James Bond or Spike TV.